Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Interview with The Maine

In today from The Maine are front man and lead vocalist John O’Callaghan, lead guitarist Jared Monaco, and drummer Pat Kirch. They are going to talk about their music and rise to mainstream stardom and how they have tried to stay level-headed throughout the whole process.

I: Interviewer

JO: John O’Callaghan

JM: Jared Monaco

PK: Pat Kirch

I: What’s up guys? So, three years ago… sitting in your guys’ basements, did you see yourself here?

JO: Hellllllll no. Three years ago I didn’t even think about pursuing a musical career! If it wasn’t for Pat’s brother who came up to me after hearing me sing one day and asking me to try out for his brother’s band, I never would have known.

JM: I knew I wanted to do music, but never expected to be this fully involved and experience this much so fast.

I: So... it’s been two years since your first release and what have you guys done since then?

PK: We have been on 4 major tours, including Warped Tour and the AP Tour, been on fronts of some magazine covers and sold tons of records. It’s been a hell of an experience.

JO: In the process, we’ve put out one full-length album and three EP’s.

I: What’s been your favorite experience so far?

JO: I’d have to say playing live on the major tours. When you look out and thousands of fans are bouncing to the same beat, echoing your every word… it sends chills down my spine.

JM: I’d go with touring with some of the other bands. We’ve played with bands like Boys Like Girls, Paramore, 3OH!3, it’s pretty frickin’ sweet.

PK: You guys are so stereotypical. Telling everyone what they want to hear. I say screw everyone else, recording MY stuff has been the coolest! (laughter) I’m just playing, the tours and fans are awesome, I couldn’t ask for more with those. But just being in the studio, making your own music from scratch, it’s such a cool thing.

I: Definitely, definitely. Well, I know you guys have had some pretty crazy shows… what is some of the craziest stuff that’s happened at your shows?

JO: At one show in Denver, we played with 3OH!3. They always get the crowd going and girls going nuts. Turns out they did that all too well. All of a sudden when I was singing, an article of clothing was thrown at me and landed on my mic stand. It was a bra. Soon enough, hundreds of bras filled the stage; it was difficult for me to keep singing… (laughter)

PK: I’ve been hit by a shoe while drumming. That kinda hurt.

JM: Unlike these guys, I sit off to the side of the stage and actually put on a good performance so nothing every crazy happens to me besides a hundred girls rushing to me after the show. (laughter)

I: You guys obviously are extremely popular, how do you stay humble and do you have more plans?

PK: At the end of the day, we are just five guys doing what we love: playing awesome music. The fans and albums and tours are just a bonus. We still realize what’s important to us: friends, family, stuff like that. So we check ourselves every day and make sure we are not forgetting about what keeps us grounded.

JO: Exactly, and…as for the future… I can’t exactly reveal what we have planned, just know we’ve had a lot of fun doing what we do, so expect more from us. We also just released a book that documents our Warped Tour experience, you should all check it out.

JM: I want to keep playing as long as I can. These guys are my best friends and it’s easy to get up every morning and have work be the one thing you love. And yes, we have more stuff coming, fans, don’t worry.

I: So secretive, but I guess it’s understandable. Don’t want your music to get leaked. And we all know fans would just eat that stuff up. Good luck with your upcoming productions, guys. Sorry, but looks like we’re out of time, thanks for swinging by.

JO, JM, PK: Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment